Exporting Specific Data

Can you extract email addresses of users from the system?

If you want to extract email addresses for users, you can export the users and open the file with a program that can read json. Within the json reader, you can see the emails and user information in a consolidated view.

What is a JSON export, and what kind of data can it hold?

JSON is the most human-readable–and therefore the preferred–format for carrying the data that Primero uses. It can be used for exporting and importing case and incident data, as well as configuration bundles. These export and import actions, however, are only available to those users whose roles have been given access to them. For instance, an administrator may be the only role able to import and export configuration bundles, while most users will have roles which are permitted to import and export case or incident data. Please note that, while JSON files are relatively easy to read, they may also be enormous, and so may take up a lot of space or just be difficult to search through.

When I export information, what fields can I put in my export?

A user can export whichever fields are on their permitted forms. So, for instance, if you have permission to view the “Basic Identity” form, which has the “date_of_birth” field, you would be able to export “date_of_birth.” However, if you wanted to export the “protection_concerns” field but do not have access to the “Protection Concerns” form that holds the field, you would not be able to export “protection_concerns.” One important exception to this rule is the “name” field, which cannot be exported for security reasons.

How can I perform a quick backup of my data?

If you ever encounter a situation in which you need to quickly backup all of your case, tracing request, or incident data, exporting is always a potential solution. All export options will allow you to have a copy of your data, but some will be easier to import back into a Primero instance than others. In particular, JSON, CSV, Excel, and Custom exports will export in a format which can be directly imported back into Primero without the need to manipulate headers, making them convenient options for data backups. Other options such as the List View and PDF exports do not afford this convenience.

An additional advantage to using a custom export is that it allows you to specify which fields you would like to have included in the exported document–a useful feature in case you are particularly worried about the security of your data backup. Limiting the number of included fields may be limiting in the amount of data you can recover in the case of some catastrophic event, but can also prevent the wrong information falling into the wrong hands. Other types of exports prevent you from exporting any fields to which your role does not have access but do not allow you to specifically include or exclude fields from an export. All exports, however, are automatically encrypted with a password of your choice, which generally prevents them from being opened by unwanted viewers.